Do you do Black Friday shopping?
Around these parts there ain't much happening in the realm of Black Friday.
I miss the madness.
Now, you couldn't pay me to go to Walmart on Black Friday, but Target, Toys R Us, and Old Navy, oh- so much fun!
Many of you are wrapping up your Black Friday shopping now, but if you are still out there ask the Lord to open doors to share truth.
Countless conversations can happen.
Think about it, you stand in line for 30 minutes to an hour waiting, sometimes longer. The person in front or behind you certainly is not going to get out of line as you talk with them. Pray as you enter each store that His love would radiate through you and that doors would open.
Now, speaking to strangers has never been hard for me. I am on the extreme end of extroversion, so I could probably talk to a brick wall- haha. I realize this is hard for many. Remember, this is for His glory and through His power - not your own. :)
I remember one year a man standing on the corner outside Target while us crazy folk were standing outside in the freezing cold waiting for the Target to open their doors. He was screaming out how we were all going to hell as sinners. How there is only one way to prevent that and it is through forgiveness of our sins by Jesus. He screamed out the gospel - the need for our acceptance of Jesus as God's son, believing He died for us and rose again, confessing our sins asking for forgiveness and making Him Lord of our life.
Now, his approach was totally different than mine (screaming it). However, it opened a door for me as the lady in front of me shouted back to him, "Who are you to call us sinners? Why do you people think we are all sinners anyway?" I clearly remember the Lord prompting me to share my testimony with her. Explaining even though in human eyes our sins aren't always seen as horrific, that to our perfect, Holy God it separates us from Him. That what this guy is saying isn't just about us and our sinfulness but also about God's great love to provide the only way that would allow us and God to have a relationship. She didn't make a decision that night but she stopped yelling at the young man screaming out truths.
That was my first time hearing someone say they didn't think they were a sinner. Growing up in the church I just assumed people knew that. Memories like these bring chills as I see how the Lord prepares us in so many ways for what He has planned.
The last few weeks I've had nearly this exact same conversation half a dozen times. The country we live in now, many believe just as this lady. Sinners are really bad or are only those people in prison. Cheating, lying, stealing...those aren't really "sins"... having bad thoughts, looking at porn, adultery, speaking cruelly - even lesser "wrongs" (they don't like the word sin). Who does really? The lady in the Target parking lot clearly didn't like the word sin either. However, it is what it is. Clearly defined in God's word. Some take the approach of using other words to say sin. However, I personally prefer to use His words, but always do as the Spirit leads.
These days I don't have any Black Friday shopping lines, but I often have long taxi rides. Lately I've used taxis more often as I really enjoy having the opportunity to share truth with the drivers. No decisions have come; however, seeds are being planted.
So, as you are out shopping - ask for opportunities to share. Plant some seeds. Getting to the gospel isn't really that hard in that situation and you have the time to share it as those lines are LONG. Ask if they have traditions then share yours (even if they don't ask) - especially if those will lead to the gospel. If you see toys for kids, ask about if it is for their kids and talk about what a gift from the Lord children are, and go into the greatest gift (Jesus). They may tell you their purchase is for the angel tree kids/families - what an opportunity to share about His great love in caring for us and how wonderful to model that great love, then go on to the One who loves unconditionally and His desire for relationship with us. There are countless ways to transition there in those lines. Look for those opportunities.
As for Black Friday here, I did manage to still buy some things Thanksgiving eve (which is usually when I begin shopping). A new first for me - Black Friday shopping in IKEA. ;) They even made me feel at home with great sales. They weren't Black Friday sales, rather it was in celebration of their anniversary. Beggars can't be choosers - I'll mark it up as another good shopping day. :)
Happy Seed Sowing! :)
Around these parts there ain't much happening in the realm of Black Friday.
I miss the madness.
Now, you couldn't pay me to go to Walmart on Black Friday, but Target, Toys R Us, and Old Navy, oh- so much fun!
Many of you are wrapping up your Black Friday shopping now, but if you are still out there ask the Lord to open doors to share truth.
Countless conversations can happen.
Think about it, you stand in line for 30 minutes to an hour waiting, sometimes longer. The person in front or behind you certainly is not going to get out of line as you talk with them. Pray as you enter each store that His love would radiate through you and that doors would open.
Now, speaking to strangers has never been hard for me. I am on the extreme end of extroversion, so I could probably talk to a brick wall- haha. I realize this is hard for many. Remember, this is for His glory and through His power - not your own. :)
I remember one year a man standing on the corner outside Target while us crazy folk were standing outside in the freezing cold waiting for the Target to open their doors. He was screaming out how we were all going to hell as sinners. How there is only one way to prevent that and it is through forgiveness of our sins by Jesus. He screamed out the gospel - the need for our acceptance of Jesus as God's son, believing He died for us and rose again, confessing our sins asking for forgiveness and making Him Lord of our life.
Now, his approach was totally different than mine (screaming it). However, it opened a door for me as the lady in front of me shouted back to him, "Who are you to call us sinners? Why do you people think we are all sinners anyway?" I clearly remember the Lord prompting me to share my testimony with her. Explaining even though in human eyes our sins aren't always seen as horrific, that to our perfect, Holy God it separates us from Him. That what this guy is saying isn't just about us and our sinfulness but also about God's great love to provide the only way that would allow us and God to have a relationship. She didn't make a decision that night but she stopped yelling at the young man screaming out truths.
That was my first time hearing someone say they didn't think they were a sinner. Growing up in the church I just assumed people knew that. Memories like these bring chills as I see how the Lord prepares us in so many ways for what He has planned.
The last few weeks I've had nearly this exact same conversation half a dozen times. The country we live in now, many believe just as this lady. Sinners are really bad or are only those people in prison. Cheating, lying, stealing...those aren't really "sins"... having bad thoughts, looking at porn, adultery, speaking cruelly - even lesser "wrongs" (they don't like the word sin). Who does really? The lady in the Target parking lot clearly didn't like the word sin either. However, it is what it is. Clearly defined in God's word. Some take the approach of using other words to say sin. However, I personally prefer to use His words, but always do as the Spirit leads.
These days I don't have any Black Friday shopping lines, but I often have long taxi rides. Lately I've used taxis more often as I really enjoy having the opportunity to share truth with the drivers. No decisions have come; however, seeds are being planted.
So, as you are out shopping - ask for opportunities to share. Plant some seeds. Getting to the gospel isn't really that hard in that situation and you have the time to share it as those lines are LONG. Ask if they have traditions then share yours (even if they don't ask) - especially if those will lead to the gospel. If you see toys for kids, ask about if it is for their kids and talk about what a gift from the Lord children are, and go into the greatest gift (Jesus). They may tell you their purchase is for the angel tree kids/families - what an opportunity to share about His great love in caring for us and how wonderful to model that great love, then go on to the One who loves unconditionally and His desire for relationship with us. There are countless ways to transition there in those lines. Look for those opportunities.
As for Black Friday here, I did manage to still buy some things Thanksgiving eve (which is usually when I begin shopping). A new first for me - Black Friday shopping in IKEA. ;) They even made me feel at home with great sales. They weren't Black Friday sales, rather it was in celebration of their anniversary. Beggars can't be choosers - I'll mark it up as another good shopping day. :)
Happy Seed Sowing! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment