Lottie Moon.
I clearly remember hearing her name, stories of the "Cookie Lady" as a child and being excited.
I wanted to grow up and be like her - haha (I think I've always had her boldness and maybe the bossy part down pat) .
I've known that name, who she was, and about the Lottie Moon Christmas offering for as long as I can remember.
Growing up in a small town, strong Southern Baptist Church I think my view of Lottie was more like a super hero. Of course, maybe living a radically obedient life to Christ is like being a super hero??
The church I was raised in - Petrey Memorial Baptist in Hazard, KY had Girls in Action (GAs) and Royal Ambassadors (RAs).
Now, don't get me wrong - I do like some of the new alternatives offered in many churches today. However, my experience with them is that none can even closely compare to the heart for missions GAs and RAs can build in children.
I remember being 8 or 9 years old hearing and reading stories from missionaries and their kids. I remember learning to pray for those suffering for the Lord. I remember writing letters to them. GAs taught me about countries and continents before any school system did. Cultures, food and people I never knew existed, I'd hear stories, see pictures... Recognizing early, being a Christian wasn't easy everywhere like it was in the comfort of my town and church. I believe the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20) was the verse I memorized right after John 3:16. I remember saving my coins to give to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering and the excitement knowing I was personally doing something (even as a child) to follow Jesus's command to make disciples of all nations.
If you've never heard of Lottie - here is a super brief history (you can read more here.)
She was a single female missionary to China, sent in 1873.
She was bold, I'd call her a little firecracker (truly little - barely over 4 feet tall and about 50 lbs).
She urged (in very strong letters sent home) Southern Baptists to encourage more Christians to join the work and then for the churches to support those sent financially. The first Christmas offering was in 1888, raising $3315 which sent three more workers to China. Since the offerings conception -100% of the offering has been used to send full time missionaries. The name of the offering changed after her death to remember her for starting it.
Each year, people around the globe give to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering to help support and send missionaries to dark places.
My family has always given, but often we'd question how much we should give. Clearly, every amount helps. Whether it is quarters kids give or checks written by families. During our first year of marriage our pastor shared in a sermon that his family has a budget for Christmas gifts. They add all they spend on Christmas gifts, totaling all gifts, then they write a check for that amount to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering. We felt that seemed like a lot but that shepherd reminded us - "If Jesus's final command to us was to make disciples of all nations and there is an organization that already sends missionaries around the world doing this and 100% of said offering will go to send them, shouldn't it be the best gift you give in celebration of His birth?" As we thought and prayed through it, we decided the Spirit was leading us to do the same. I wish I could say we have always had a good Christmas budget but in reality, we don't. So, over the years we've estimated how much we spend and then give more than that.
Today, the Week of Prayer for International Missions begins. I will be trying to post on facebook each day as a reminder to pray but be sure to check out all the resources available here. There are resources on family devotionals to do as well. Maybe your church or your family doesn't have much missions education for your kids, or maybe you do! It is never too early to start this and these devotionals are a great way to do it or add to it.
Our purpose on this planet is to make disciples of all nations. To be salt, light and above all else - love! Will you pray and ask the Lord how he wants you to give?
"Is not the festive season when families and friends exchange gifts in memory of The Gift laid on the altar of the world for the redemption of the human race, the most appropriate time to consecrate a portion from abounding riches and scant poverty to send forth the good tidings of great joy into all the earth?"
Sept. 15, 1887, Lottie Moon, Tungchow
I clearly remember hearing her name, stories of the "Cookie Lady" as a child and being excited.
I wanted to grow up and be like her - haha (I think I've always had her boldness and maybe the bossy part down pat) .
I've known that name, who she was, and about the Lottie Moon Christmas offering for as long as I can remember.
Growing up in a small town, strong Southern Baptist Church I think my view of Lottie was more like a super hero. Of course, maybe living a radically obedient life to Christ is like being a super hero??
The church I was raised in - Petrey Memorial Baptist in Hazard, KY had Girls in Action (GAs) and Royal Ambassadors (RAs).
Now, don't get me wrong - I do like some of the new alternatives offered in many churches today. However, my experience with them is that none can even closely compare to the heart for missions GAs and RAs can build in children.
I remember being 8 or 9 years old hearing and reading stories from missionaries and their kids. I remember learning to pray for those suffering for the Lord. I remember writing letters to them. GAs taught me about countries and continents before any school system did. Cultures, food and people I never knew existed, I'd hear stories, see pictures... Recognizing early, being a Christian wasn't easy everywhere like it was in the comfort of my town and church. I believe the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20) was the verse I memorized right after John 3:16. I remember saving my coins to give to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering and the excitement knowing I was personally doing something (even as a child) to follow Jesus's command to make disciples of all nations.
If you've never heard of Lottie - here is a super brief history (you can read more here.)
She was a single female missionary to China, sent in 1873.
She was bold, I'd call her a little firecracker (truly little - barely over 4 feet tall and about 50 lbs).
She urged (in very strong letters sent home) Southern Baptists to encourage more Christians to join the work and then for the churches to support those sent financially. The first Christmas offering was in 1888, raising $3315 which sent three more workers to China. Since the offerings conception -100% of the offering has been used to send full time missionaries. The name of the offering changed after her death to remember her for starting it.
Each year, people around the globe give to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering to help support and send missionaries to dark places.
My family has always given, but often we'd question how much we should give. Clearly, every amount helps. Whether it is quarters kids give or checks written by families. During our first year of marriage our pastor shared in a sermon that his family has a budget for Christmas gifts. They add all they spend on Christmas gifts, totaling all gifts, then they write a check for that amount to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering. We felt that seemed like a lot but that shepherd reminded us - "If Jesus's final command to us was to make disciples of all nations and there is an organization that already sends missionaries around the world doing this and 100% of said offering will go to send them, shouldn't it be the best gift you give in celebration of His birth?" As we thought and prayed through it, we decided the Spirit was leading us to do the same. I wish I could say we have always had a good Christmas budget but in reality, we don't. So, over the years we've estimated how much we spend and then give more than that.
Today, the Week of Prayer for International Missions begins. I will be trying to post on facebook each day as a reminder to pray but be sure to check out all the resources available here. There are resources on family devotionals to do as well. Maybe your church or your family doesn't have much missions education for your kids, or maybe you do! It is never too early to start this and these devotionals are a great way to do it or add to it.
Our purpose on this planet is to make disciples of all nations. To be salt, light and above all else - love! Will you pray and ask the Lord how he wants you to give?
"Is not the festive season when families and friends exchange gifts in memory of The Gift laid on the altar of the world for the redemption of the human race, the most appropriate time to consecrate a portion from abounding riches and scant poverty to send forth the good tidings of great joy into all the earth?"
Sept. 15, 1887, Lottie Moon, Tungchow


No comments:
Post a Comment