It was exactly what we needed - sleep, good family time playing many new games we'd never had before in the comfort of such a lovely home. Refreshing.
They had a skateboard in the shed so the kids took turns rolling down the road on it. Meisi holding her puppy while doing it. :) Please don't scold me for no helmets - they truly were each on the board for a couple seconds and Brian was holding onto them. :)
It really is such a lovely island. It reminded Brian and I of Cape Cod where we spent our 2nd anniversary. Even has a lighthouse! We didn't go into it, just admired from outside.
My monkeys couldn't resist climbing this HUGE tree.
The big kids and Brian went crabbing. Meisi and I just came out for moral support. :)
They really didn't have much luck with catching crabs but caught a HUGE flounder.
The kids enjoyed it so much they went back out with Brian after dinner to try crabbing on the main pier. They caught the coolest thing- a baby octopus!!! I don't know how to put videos on here but it was pretty cool to see it move across the pier. It brought excitement to many on the pier that eve. They came back late that night, smelling like fish and sweat but full of excitement. Definitely a highlight of our little adventure. :)
The next morning we got up and started our way a little more north - to Rocky Top... really! They renamed the town where my grandmother lives from Lake City to Rocky Top, TN. No kidding.
Yes, I sang the song over and over (in my head because out loud ain't so pretty).
Always great to see my sweet Nanny gal (yep, that is what we have always called her). Love how at 90+ she still enjoys playing with the kids and making jokes.
It was a wonderful treat to have my dad there for that visit too. :)
There is something to be said for not having internet or cable or loads of toys...
Our kids had so much fun running around playing outside together, making up their own games and using their imagination in ways I don't think they have done for a long time...maybe ever.
Having fun just being kids without a screen in front of them.
So thankful for this very special time of visiting family...
doing things I did as a kid right here in this yard, brings back many great memories.
Moments I hope our kids will cherish and look back upon themselves.
And our adventure continues...
next stop - Big Blue Nation. :)









No comments:
Post a Comment